BY SCENE SHANG
WHAT WE LOVE MOST ABOUT CHRISTMAS, besides all the festive cheer and decor, has got to be the food. Before we can finish the mouth-watering turkey and colourful salad spread on the table, our mind's already on the dessert — because what's Christmas without chocolate? It is made for the soul and our souls could use some nourishing this year-end.
When Mom says we have to go easy on the chocolate and not do hot chocolate with chocolate cake, we know tea's the answer. Quinteassential Tea - Island in Blue, a box of 5 bags, hand-crafted with the finest oolong leaves and scented with Italian bergamot; it's perfect with every slice.
RECIPE: Flourless Chocolate Cake
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Cooling time 5 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
Servings 10 serves
- 4 ounces unsweetened, bittersweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Icing sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Butter an 8-inch round baking pan. Line bottom with a round of wax paper if preferred.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces.
- In a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, melt the chopped chocolate with butter and stir until smooth.
- Remove chocolate mixture from heat and whisk in sugar.
- Add eggs and whisk well. Sift cocoa powder over the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Pour batter into the pan and bake in the middle of oven for 25 minutes (or until a thin crust is visible on top).
- Cool cake in pan on a rack or trivet for 5 minutes.
- Invert into a serving plate and dust with icing sugar.
Cooled servings can be kept in an airtight container, best served within 7 days.